Thursday, August 11, 2011

Taylor Who?

I have been going through tons of files at work, with lots of names.  Some have been pretty unique and it got me to thinking about a conversation I had with a great uncle years ago.  Taylor was probably around 3.  My grandfather, James Ault, had a brother named B. A. Ault.  One Sunday at church, he came up behind the pew me and Taylor were sitting in and asked me what her name was.  Funny how I remember this like it was yesterday!

I said, "Taylor".  He said, "Who?"  Again, I repeated her name about 3 times.  He grumbled something and said, "Taylor?  That's a last name.  People will name their kids anything these days."  I said, "humph!"

As soon as church was over I had to call my sister, Charleen Sartor.  This is how that conversation went:

Me: "Charleen.......(and then I told her the story)
Sis:  "Well, he's a fine one to talk."
Me: "I only know B. A.  What does the B. A. stand for?"
Sis:  "Nance, you don't know?  It's Bartholomew Alphus."
Me: "Bar who? (if I knew my scriptures better, I would know that he was a prophet)
Sis:  "Bar-tho-lo-mew Alphus."
Me: "Humph!"

When it comes time to name your children, parents really have their work cut out for them!  A name is a pretty important part of your child!  I remember throwing out a name and Carey saying, no so-in-so had a child named that, or I went to school with someone named that, etc.  And I would do the same thing when he suggested a name.  We came up with Taylor because somewhere in my Mumford family history, when the small Texas town of Mumford was settled, a Mumford married a girl from the Texas town of "Taylor".  Shallow, I know!  She got "Marie" from Carey's mom.

Addie Mae (originally May, but she didn't like the "y") Ault - the most precious woman ever built, and my "Goggie", seen here with Taylor soon after she was born!


Now I don't really know where this name came from, but she and James named my mother Jimmie Nell Pegge (again, no "y").  She always went my "Pegge" or "Peg".  Here we are at Daisy Carrol (Sartor) Pridgen's (Charleen & Joe's oldest) wedding!

Addie Mae Ault, Jimmie Nell Pegge Mumford, Nancy Carrol (Mumford) Eldridge, Taylor Marie Eldridge

My daddy wanted to name me Sheila and my sister didn't like that name.  She mentioned Nancy and both of my parents agreed.  Daddy always told everyone I was named after the comic strip!  So here's another little connection:

My daddy:     William Carrol Mumford
Me:                Nancy Carrol Mumford
My niece:       Daisy Carrol (Sartor) Pridgen
My youngest:  Brooklyn Carrol Eldridge

Yes, Carrol is spelled differently too. And yes, I misspelled it on my wedding invitations!!

And some more family name connections on Carey's side!  Shirley Marie Kunze (Carey's mom), Kelci Marie Bethke (oldest grandchild and Carey's sister, Amy's daughter) and Taylor Marie Eldridge.  There are many more cousins with the middle name Marie on this side of the family too.


Brooklyn has been picking out her future children's name for a long time!  I keep telling her she will need to talk to her husband about that!

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment