Monday, October 17, 2011

Mormons and Me

Here we go again!  Mormons are not Christians.  Mormons are a cult.  Mormons don't worship Jesus Christ.  They worship Joseph Smith.  Mormons are.....on and on.  Really?  First of all, the name "Mormon" is a nickname.  And if people would slow down and read the name of our church it is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  The church of who?  Yes, you read that right - Jesus Christ.  I LOVE that we have the name of our Savior in our church name!  That really says it all. 

This is my Savior and Redeemer

My church is not a secret.  It is for everyone.  Not everyone will choose this religion and thank goodness we live in a country where we are not all forced to believe the same thing.  We are free to choose for ourselves - don't you love free agency?!

A friend of mine once made the analogy that the full gospel of Jesus Christ (the gospel that He taught while He was upon the Earth along with his apostles), could be like a mirror.  (By the way, I love analogies.)  The gospel in it's entirety was a complete mirror - no chips or cracks.  It was and is perfect.  After Christ suffered for our sins and died on the cross, the apostles were left to continue His teachings and healing.  One by one as they died, no one was left to hold the mirror, or move forward with the full gospel.  The mirror fell and crashed into many, many pieces.  Others would come and take parts of the mirror, or parts of the gospel that were pleasing unto them, but this mirror could not be put back together in it's former shape.  Not yet anyway.  Enter Joseph Smith:


When he was 14 years old he was chosen by our Heavenly Father to bring the fullness of the Gospel back to earth.  The teachings and blessings of our Savior!  I believe we need this now more than ever.  Do I "worship" Joseph Smith?  No.  But I do respect him and believe his teachings because they are the teachings of my Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ.  Just as I do all prophets, including those in the Old Testament, the New Testament, the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants, as well as those today.  Joseph Smith and many of the early members of the church were beaten, ran out of their homes, their wives and children were raped and in the end some including Joseph were murdered.  By who?  Others that called themselves Christians.  Doesn't seem right does it?  And just so you know, we use all of the scriptures at church and in our personal studies.


Take a look at the Thirteen Articles of Faith for a clear understanding of exactly what I believe:

We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10 We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

I have had snide remarks made about my beliefs, been pointed out that I am someones "Mormon" friend, as people have set out to make me feel uncomfortable.  But for the most part, I am respected.  The people closest to me know that I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, watch rated R movies, cheat, lie or steal.  I do my best to keep all of the commandments - the ten plus commandments! 

I am saved - not in the way that people become "saved" on their death beds.  I am saved because my Savior made it possible for me to repent of my sins and try again.  Just because I say I am saved or am a Christian, does not in no way give me a golden ticket.  There is much work to do on my part and I alone am the only person that can do it.  The Lord has shown me the way, but the choice is mine.  I hope you will read the link above to better understand this!

My name is Nancy Eldridge.  I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I am known and loved by my Heavenly Father.  I make mistakes, sometimes repeatedly.  I ask for forgiveness and start over.  I know that my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ live.  I pray to my Heavenly Father through His Son Jesus Christ.  I love them both.  The Holy Ghost guides and directs me.  I am indebted to them all.  I know that I can live with them and my family for eternity.

I am a Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment